newsFreeciv Maps - News: Maps added: France, Earth modified

Show feedback again
Latest News
Maps added: France, Earth modified posted by yeupou, Sat 01 Sep 2007 04:00:40 PM UTC - 0 replies
[Submit News]
[1 news in archive]

Maps added: France, Earth modified

Item posted by Mathieu Roy <yeupou> on Sat 01 Sep 2007 04:00:40 PM UTC.

Two maps where added in the repository, here's their READMEs:

France

Map of France for Freeciv (current version: 2.0.8).

With:

• plenty of nations, with a more or less consistent starting location (but keeping out-of-the-box freeciv nations)
  • a map of France not scrupulously exact from a geographical point of view but enough to recognize regions and have fun.

Plus, I also tuned the game options:

• No magic reconstruction of a palace is the capitol city was destroyed
  • Frontiers

How to use it:

• you must put france.sav.gz in you freeciv scenarii directory (here /usr/share/freeciv/scenario)
  • start civclient, choose scenario, etc.

2006/09/22

Earth Modified

earth-160x90-v2.m2 is a modified version of earth-160x90-v2 shipped with Freeciv (current version: 2.0.8).

Why wasn't I satisfied with the original one? Because in this map:

• too few nations are available
  • some nations selected does not make sense at all for an earth scenario (Spaniards would have been very surprised in 1492 to find a new continent of english-speaking people)
  • starting locations seemed deeply unbalanced (america shared by 2 peoples, europe shared by tons of people)

So, I:

• added plenty of nations, with their more or less historical starting location
  • used only, or almost only, nations older of at least one millenary. There are a few exceptions but it is just because the original peoples these exceptions are coming from are not available
  • modified a bit the trees/hills/icy areas in order to look more realistic (amazonia with a small jungle seemed strange, one could also wonder why vikings have gone pirates if there was no ice on the north of europe, etc) and also to balance starting location (harsh on the area where a civilisation is almost alone)

Plus, I also tuned the game options:

• No magic reconstruction of a palace is the capitol city was destroyed
  • Frontiers
  • Race to space

How to use it:

• you must put earth-160x90-v2.m2.sav.gz in you freeciv scenarii directory (here /usr/share/freeciv/scenario)
  • start civclient, choose scenario, etc.

2006/09/16

Comments:

No messages in Maps added: France, Earth modified

Start a New Thread:

You could post if you were logged in
Show feedback again

Back to the top