newsXmldoom (the XML Database Object-Oriented Model) - News: The competition

Show feedback again
Latest News
xmldoom-perl 0.0.16 released posted by dsnopek, Thu 08 Feb 2007 10:52:29 PM UTC - 0 replies
xmldoom-perl 0.0.15 released posted by dsnopek, Tue 29 Aug 2006 04:32:18 PM UTC - 0 replies
xmldoom-perl 0.0.14 released posted by dsnopek, Mon 21 Aug 2006 08:19:42 PM UTC - 0 replies
xmldoom-perl 0.0.13 released! posted by dsnopek, Tue 20 Jun 2006 05:02:35 PM UTC - 0 replies
xmldoom-perl 0.0.12 released! posted by dsnopek, Thu 08 Jun 2006 05:46:48 PM UTC - 0 replies
[Submit News]
[16 news in archive]

The competition

Item posted by David Snopek <dsnopek> on Tue 27 Apr 2004 06:42:24 PM UTC.

I just had a look at the competition: Apache Torque and Propel. Its amazing that this is the first I have done so, but such is life. For the most part I don't like the way they do things.

First of all, both tie you much closer to the database than Xmldoom does. In fact, I have been trying to run further and further from the database. To them, a table is an object.

Second, object heirarchies are done by making one big, fat table for all the children involved. This is wasteful, ugly and makes it hard to add more objects at a later date.

Third, both are very language specific. Torque is tied to Java and Propel to PHP5.

But there is one thing I do like: runtime creation of queries. Xmldoom, although it has dynamic queries, is very limited by missing this feature. But the way its implemented in Torque and Propel is the very thing that ties it to the language in question. If I can add the ability to define these runtime queries using XML, then we could have the power and continue in a language agnostic and modular fashion.

This will have a lot to do with the Compiler's internal representation which is coincidently the focus of the next release so we'll see...

Comments:

No messages in The competition

Start a New Thread:

You could post if you were logged in
Show feedback again

Back to the top