newsXmldoom (the XML Database Object-Oriented Model) - News: Gutting the database abstraction

Show feedback again
Latest News
xmldoom-perl 0.0.16 released posted by dsnopek, Thu 08 Feb 2007 10:52:29 PM UTC - 0 replies
xmldoom-perl 0.0.15 released posted by dsnopek, Tue 29 Aug 2006 04:32:18 PM UTC - 0 replies
xmldoom-perl 0.0.14 released posted by dsnopek, Mon 21 Aug 2006 08:19:42 PM UTC - 0 replies
xmldoom-perl 0.0.13 released! posted by dsnopek, Tue 20 Jun 2006 05:02:35 PM UTC - 0 replies
xmldoom-perl 0.0.12 released! posted by dsnopek, Thu 08 Jun 2006 05:46:48 PM UTC - 0 replies
[Submit News]
[16 news in archive]

Gutting the database abstraction

Item posted by David Snopek <dsnopek> on Mon 13 Sep 2004 07:29:18 PM UTC.

In my study of Propel and Creole, I really began to love Creole as a high level database abstraction and the dynamic nature of Propel. While I still really prefer Xmldoom definitions, the PyRE and queries, I have been finding some serious design flaws.

First of all, true runtime query generation is impossible. I never really thought I would want this initially so Xmldoom was created with a distinct "compile" stage. I would really like to have Propel style queries used to build Xmldoom style queries.

Second, the database "abstraction" in Xmldoom is skattered all over the place and showing many holes. To really move forward, we need a true database abstraction layer. So why not base it on Creole whose API is like that of JDBC?

So, I have begun working on Roma, the Creole port to Python. Once this is finished I will begin rewritting the Xmldoom internals to match the API, XML and functionality of Propel. And finally, I will port the current Xmldoom API, XML and functionality on top of this base.

I don't plan to release any versions that don't support Xmldoom-like functionality but we'll see. The next release should simply have the PyRE use Roma. Subsequent versions will move more components to Roma/Propel-like cores.

Current source will be in GNU Arch archive/branch:

dsnopek@milwaukeepc.com--2004-xmldoom/xmldoom--roma--0.0

Comments:

No messages in Gutting the database abstraction

Start a New Thread:

You could post if you were logged in
Show feedback again

Back to the top